[RC] Stick Shift Diesels - katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Becky Hackworth said:

They are available.  I think the ? was about the availability
of the Allison Trany with stick in CA.  That is also avail,
but depends on the MFG.

The Allison Trany is an automatic transmission, so, no, it is not available
with a stick in California or anywhere else :).

What is not available in California (or Massachusetts) unless things have
changed since I bought mine in 2003, is a stick shift on the GM (either
Chevy or GMC) diesel trucks.  GM didn't get the smog approval for that
combination.  I could have bought the truck out of state and then gotten a
variance from the California Air Resources Board (or registered it out of
state for at least a year and then imported it into California as a used
truck), but this would have been a major PITA...so I ponied up for the
Allison transmission.

The Allison transmission is far and away better than any other automatic
transmission I have ever driven (admittedly not that many and not for that
far because I have never liked one enough to own one), but it still costs
me big time in gas mileage when driving around town.

The only thing I like it better for is towing in traffic...oh yeah, and
when you get stuck in the mud going up a steep hill (or down for that
matter).

GM may have changed this since I bought my truck.  You would have to ask
the dealer, and in California they sure as hell ain't gonna have such a
thing on their lot.  And the dealer would have to ask GM, since you will be
the first person to ask for such a thing.  The fleet guy I bought my truck
from took the order for the truck with the stick shift only to have the
order rejected, and it took him a while to figure out why.

As far as I know (but I could be wrong about this).  The Allison
transmission is only available on GM trucks.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

http://mail2web.com/ .