Re: [RC] CTR thumbs down post - Laney Humphrey

Jessica, you may well be correct that your horse is ready and able to do fast LDs. I think the point Jonni was making was that there may not be any damage or injury from one race, at least any that is apparent. But, there might be the beginnings of damage that will only show up later. From the way you describe your horse and your pre-endurance riding, your horse should be ready to start his endurance career. Jonni and many others just feel that it's better to start even a superbly athletic and well conditioned horse out slow and build up speed over a year or so.
Please continue to post about how you and your horse are doing and best of luck to you for a long and happy endurance career!
Laney

Jessica B wrote:
Jonni > I thank you for all the information and advice you have given me. However I do not feel that by riding fast LD's I am hurting my horse. As I said before, he has been ridden long distances quite often for 2 years now, and not at a walk or slow trott either. My horse vetted out well and looked good, alert and sound that evening after it. It was only a 35 mile ride, however my horse did eat and drink at both vet checks, plus drank in the river.
I am 21 years old and respect your opinion. However I have gotten many opinions from other riders who are older than I who have done it for years, and they felt that Dodger was physically ready to do a fast LD. I do have my horse's welfare in my best interests. I conditioned him for almost a year before I even entered a ride, went to a CTR clinic (taught me a lot, I highly recommend it to other new comers such as myself), and got advice from experienced riders in my area. I AM NOT a rider who feels my horse is disposable. I have had him since he was 2 (he's 7 now) and plan on using him for endurance for many many years to come.
Truman > "The basic reason was she was 8 years old before she did her first LD"
Very good point!! My horse is 7 years old and physically and mentally fully mature. He has been out on the trails since he was 5, not competing but learning to go through water, over bridges, etc...etc... That was both of our first LD, and I have to say that I am very glad I decided to do it on my "mature" horse.

http://mail.yahoo.com