Re: [RC] Infiltrating the bureaucracy - Kris Hazelbaker

I too work for the Forest Service, in Idaho.  Steve Didier, the current national president of Backcountry Horsemen, worked for me as the packer on my ranger district.  Idaho, for the most part, is VERY horse friendly.  I’m one of those planner types, and when we talk access management for forest plans, we don’t even talk about restrictions on equines.  Motorized use is one group, and non-motorized use is the other – hikers, horse riders, mountain bikers, etc.  For the Forest Service here, with over a million acres of wilderness, horses and mules are the “vehicle fleet” that facilitate getting the work done.

And looking around the office I’m in now – one former endurance rider, three pleasure riders, and two arena (as in cowboy games) riders.  In the office down the road, the District Ranger has horses (for pleasure and packing), and there are two more pleasure riders, and a breeder.

Lots of back-country here, and lots of horses.

Kris in northern Idaho