[RC] wildlife on trail - Marlene Moss

A couple months ago Ginger Kathryns asked about peoples experiences with wildlife on the trail.  Well, here’s a fun one.  I have just started a new horse (8 yo mare, but knows nothing).  We were ready for our first trailering experience and a short ride at a local community arena with a short trail.

Horse did well in the trailer (except the buckets of sweat on the floor) and in the arena so I decided to continue for a short ride on the trail.  Past the arena is a cow pasture with about 50 cows, calves and a couple bulls.  On the way out the horse was very interested – the cows were kind of nuts.  Two cows were butting heads as ferociously as any mountain sheep.  Some were chasing others around rather vehemently.  Two cows and a calf raced along the fence line with us.  Horse was really amazing.

On the way back, I had just remounted (dismounted to take some steep downhills easy) and the cows were really agitated now.  Then we saw a huge bird flapping and all the cows in a frenzy, surrounding the bird, attacking it!  It hopped a couple times but never got off the ground and then we couldn’t see it anymore – one bull went after it and then all the cows completely surrounded it.

We saw someone walking out toward the cows.  I was a little concerned – wasn’t sure just what was up with these cows.  I saw her parked Forest Service truck by the highway.  We were too far away to communicate so after it seemed like the cows were willing to move away we rode back to the arena and loaded up.

As we left, we saw the truck was still there and being quite curious we drove down to see what was up.  We walked out into the pasture and there was a still alive, but damaged golden eagle.  The lady had called the DOW and was just waiting for them to show up.  It was a young bird, but still weighed about 20 pounds.  We got to help them catch him and put him in a truck to take to a bird sanctuary.  No idea if he’ll live, but worth the attempt of course.  We looked around the pasture, no dead calves or anything, so still no idea what drove those cows into such behavior.

Marlene

PS and I just love my new horse, didn’t spook at anything the whole ride and it was not a particularly calm environment!

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com (saddle fit for the horse in motion)

Available for saddle fitting at Colorado Horse Park endurance ride in CO

www.mossrockranch.com (sale horses and more)

719-351-5037 (cell)

719-748-9073 (home)