Re: [RC] gaits & trots - champagne class - Truman Prevatt

I've seen a few of these - except they call them water glass classes down South. They use water since it would not be legal to use moonshine :-) . Most of them used the red plastic cups that are pretty stiff. At one at a TWH show they used flimsy Dixie cups. Not only did the rider have to make sure the cup didn't move, but they had to hold it very lightly else it would collapse. There were several horses that started but most of them were out fairly quickly because the riders held the cups with too much force and they collasped.

There two riders left. They were in there for 10 minites - both still with full cups. The announcer wanting to get one with the show, asked them to canter. They did this for a few minutes. Both riders still had all their water. This class went on for about 30 minutes. They finally settled it by setting up a tight course the riders had to navigate. After about 5 minutes of that the water in one glass was about 1/4 inch lower than the other so they declared the winner so they could get on with the rest of the show.

Now I sure put either of those two walking horses and their riders up against all comers - an put a little cash on the side. From what I have seen at all breed shows with the cups they use these two would still be out there the next day.

Truman

Ridecamp Guest wrote:

Please Reply to: Anita Messenger  libertymtn@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I saw a champagne glass competition once at the Oklahoma City Festival of the Horse. There must have been 40 horses in that ring (very crowded), and just about every breed/size of horse you could think of including gaited breeds and Pony Club horses. Two trotters tied for first - a TALL Clydesdale (one of the riding kind, not draft kind) and a registered 14.3 hand MORAB mare. The lady that owns that mare used to enter these things every chance she got because the mare won them all the time. There *are* trotters that are very smooth gaited. Many of our Morabs have a good smooth extended trot, and we've had some Morgans like that, too.

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics