[RC] to Sara - Tracey Smith

WHOA THERE!  No one is attacking you, folks are just trying to point out the
differences between the sports...not saying one is superior.  Making
generalizations like you did in the post below is a sure way to get the
flame throwers out.

I don't think anyone implied that ALL endurance riders have poor
horsemanship or that CTR was the ONLY place to acquire good horsemanship
skills.  My comments were that from looking at Tevis photos (and from what I
have seen at the few endurance rides I have been to) that there are many
endurance riders who COULD stand to improve their horsemanship.  But the
majority I have seen DO have good horsemanship, particularly those who do
the longer distances as it will eventually show up if they don't.

No one ever said that ALL  top endurance riders were CTR people either...all
that was implied was that most CTR riders who attempt Tevis "tend" to have
higher completion rates...nothing scientific was quoted.  Take it for what
it's worth.

Don't think anyone claimed all endurance riders were "yahoo maniacs" who
don't take care of their horses either...although I must admit when I first
started CTR I heard rumors of this sort quite often when I mentioned I'd
like to one day try endurance.  My way to deflate rumors has always been to
"check them out" and when I checked out endurance I found just the opposite
to be true.  I found dedicated riders who went to great effort (and expense)
to be sure their equine partners were well cared for...BEFORE they care for
themselves.

Good horsemanship comes in all shapes, sizes and disciplines...that's what
makes it fun.

While I know you can learn a great deal by scribing for a judge at a CTR, I
do think as Chris mentioned you might actually want to RIDE one before
making a full judgement as it's totally different to work and ride.

If it's not for you, I understand...just don't knock it until you have
really tried it.  Either way, I for one will respect your opinions and
whatever you decide.

Tracey
-------------------
I am just baffled by all of the implication that endurance riders have poor
horsemanship. Are you going to tell me that all endurance riders are yahoo
maniacs who don't know how to take care of their horse? That seems to be
what I gather from the posts and private e-mails anyway.

Since when did competitive trail riding become the ONLY way to acquire good
horsemanship?????? You CTR people must feel so proud that you are the ONLY
really good horsemen and women out there! *grin* :-) (Ok. My flame suit is
on and zipped up...but easy with the intense flames, please)!!!!!

I think an endurance rider that goes 100 miles and finishes with a sound,
happy horse must be doing something right!! Especially, if they do it year
after year. That is what I truly admire. The mileage and longevity to finish
rides successfully in the sport! And, no...not all top endurance riders are
CTR people. I think some people just do CTRs because they are more prevalent
than endurance rides. At least, in my region anyway.

There are crappy CTR horsewomen and crappy endurance horsewomen. Just like
there are great ones in both.
Good horsemanship is good horsemanship. Period.

Of course, as always, just my uneducated two cents!!

Cheers,

Sara