[RC] ligament injury - Victoria

I have a 16 year old gelding I have been competing with for some years now and he just came up with an injury to his medial collateral ligament.  We had x-rays and ultrasound done and they show a very small amount of calcification and some micro tears.  He looks sound most of the time, but is definatly off with a flexion test.  Vet's reccomend  rest (6 months to a year) follow up ultrasound and patience.  A friend told me that collagen injections can speed the healing process.  Does anyone here know anything about that?  Any other suggestions?  If the only thing that will help is time off o.k. but if there is anything I can do to help support the process I'd like to hear about it.
Thanks
Victoria