[RC] Thank you! - Mary Krauss

Thank all of you who responded to my newbie-ish plea for mentoring and teaching. Nikki McCormack and her husband Michael particularly came through as they took me riding today and promised to do so again--you can imagine the thrill of trotting and cantering through the woods, stopping to wade in the river, after YEARS of walking slowly with my much more subdued trail-riding horse friends. Today's speed seemed oddly more relaxing as the horses were moving too quickly to spook (much anyway), and they seemed happy to be flying along. The bad part: I failed to get my Arabian into the trailer so had to take the Big Fat Guy--though this turned out to be good because he's incredibly gentle and calm on the trail and because his gaits are so smooth (Andalusian) that I could keep up with Nikki and Michael's horses Cody (sorrel Arabian that looks like a Vavra photo) and Tango (black Spanish Mustang that also looks like a Vavra photo). The other bad part was when Big Fat Guy threw a shoe on the return trip but all is well--he has great feet luckily. I was so excited when I got home that I threw the saddle on Salima (the reluctant loader), rode her all over the property with a loose rein and a big smile, then fed her in the trailer that she now hopped into quite calmly....

Again, thank you to all of you who've been sending notes of encouragement and information. It's been a long dry spell (7 years) for this distracted mother....

Mary K.