[RC] RC:Na - Nik Isahak Abdullah

Tom,
I wonder how you are going to extrapolate this sodium and water loss study in human athletes to equine.?One can imagine and accept that in human marathon runners there is a preponderance of more water loss above and beyond sodium loss,not totally replaceable by drinking on the run to give rise to more 'hypernatremic,hyperosmolar state" i.e blood plama thicker with less water and more sodium .
On the contrary,those guys that just plainly over replace their water and sodium loss with over drinking of plain water without isotonic solution like gatorade ,100 plus etc etc stand to be 'hyponatremic and hypoosmolar".
How do you propose we use these useful human data\to the equine world where:
1. The principal problem is one of making them drink enough to replace the water loss
2. The potassium loss,which may be more important from the point of view of neurogenic and cardiac function and electrical stimulation and dysfunction,is several times more than in human.
These are very relevent issues to us in Malaysia where the combined humidity{70's and 80's} and temperature[above 90's most time during the day,come down to high 70's at night}.Since we change to mainly night riding our metabolic issues has dropped tremendously.
To us in endurance Tom,and I think it applies the world over,once we see our horses drinking at most stops,we have no problem.The mg,K,Na is simple matter.We do not need a renal profile on the run,we need our horses to start drinking before there is significant and often irreplaceable deficit.Any bright idea,Tom.
Nik

Find just what you are after with the more precise, more powerful new MSN Search. http://search.msn.com.my/ Try it now.