[RC] Downhill - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Authors JS Gottschall, R Kram
Title   Ground reaction forces during downhill and uphill running
Full source     Journal of Biomechanics, 2005, Vol 38, Iss 3, pp 445-452

We investigated the normal and parallel ground reaction forces during downhill
and uphill running. Our rationale was that these force data would aid in the
understanding of hill running injuries and energetics. Based on a simple
spring-mass model, we hypothesized that the normal force peaks, both impact and
active, would increase during downhill running and decrease during uphill
running. We anticipated that the parallel braking force peaks would increase
during downhill running and the parallel propulsive force peaks would increase
during uphill running. But, we could not predict the magnitude of these
changes. Five male and five female subjects ran at 3 m/s on a force treadmill
mounted on the level and on 3degrees, 6degrees, and 9degrees wedges. During
downhill running, normal impact force peaks and parallel braking force peaks
were larger compared to the level. At -9degrees, the normal impact force peaks
increased by 54%, and the parallel braking force peaks increased by 73%. During
uphill running, normal impact force peaks were smaller and parallel propulsive
force peaks were larger compared to the level. At + 9degrees, normal impact
force peaks were absent, and parallel propulsive peaks increased by 75%.
Neither downhill nor uphill running affected normal active force peaks.
Combined with previous biomechanics studies, our normal impact force data
suggest that downhill running substantially increases the probability of
overuse running injury. Our parallel force data provide insight into past
energetic studies, which show that the metabolic cost increases during downhill
running at steep angles.