Re: [RC] Gaited horse in LD - Maggie Mieske

Laurie,
If you take your time, you can do this!  :)  Nelson hopes to do the 25 on my
sister's TWH (who has done both 25 and 50 on this trail and she is
definitely a chunk) and Rob Losey plans to do 25 on his gaited mule (who
sometimes gaits and sometimes doesn't).  :)  Chunky horses "may" take longer
to cool, longer to get in condition and more work to keep in condition.  But
it doesn't mean they can't do it.  Dallas is also black so sometimes she
takes longer to cool if it's hot and sunny and has been known to
pant...water, water and more water and "walking"....standing around makes a
horse hotter so sometimes you need to pour water, scrape and walk a bit,
lather, rinse and repeat.  :)  We have often found that if we fuss around
too long, they take longer to come down and that if we come in slow, loosen
up the girth, pour a little water and take a pulse right away that they will
be down or nearly down whereas if we fuss overly much, take off the tack,
walk them back to the trailer (or truck if we are crewing at an outcheck),
etc. that the fuss keeps the pulse up there.  A quick check right away
sometimes does the trick so you can get down to business with water and food
and hay.  :)
There will be lots of people to help you through TCS and I bet I'll be out
there somewhere crewing or volunteering and I'll help you, too if I see you.
If I don't, find me and ASK!  :)  Tin Cup Springs isn't usually terribly
warm but it is Michigan as you well know and I usually make sure to have a
rump rug or wool cover for the butt at the vet check.  We'd love to see you
out there on the trail!!  Come on out!!  If you have any more questions, let
me know!!  Hope to see you there!!
Maggie