RE: [RC] Gaited horse in LD - Peter Harper

Laurie,  Great to see another gaited endurance rider.

You need to approach preparing for a ride on a gaited
horse just like you would on a non-gaited horse.  You
need to have a good base of long slow distance
building up to the ride.

You have four weeks to prepare.  Depending on how much
you've trained and what type of distance you've built
up to it might be asking a lot to do a 25LD this
quickly.

How much are you currently riding each week?  At what
speed?  What is your longest ride?

Don't ask him to do significantly more speed or
distance than you've done in training.  I'd like to
see a horse do at a minimum 15-20 miles at a 5 mile/hr
pace before I took them on a 25LD.

Taking is slow is the right idea.  As one of the
central region vets likes to say "You've paid for a
full 6 hrs you might as well use it."

With a stocky horse you are going to be carefull to
keep them cool.  Braid the mane to allow plenty of air
to get to the neck.  If you don't already have one get
yourself a sponge on a leash.  Soak the neck and
shoulders at every water opportunity.  Pull the saddle
and the vet check and cool the back if they are
overheated.

Take is easy there will always be another ride if your
not ready.

Good Luck,  Pete

From: "Mike & Laurie Hilyard" <PFmorabs@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Gaited horse in LD

I have a grade gaited gelding that I am considering
taking in a LD ride
=
this fall.  Right now, he is chunky, and so am I.  Any
LD we do would
be =
very slow - think 5.5 to 6 hours.  I've only ridden
Arabs in this
sport, =
and know that an Arab would have no problem being
ready for 25 by the =
Tin Cup Springs ride on September  18 .  Can anyone
with more
experience =
with gaited and/or horses not inherently suited to
this sport give me =
any advice on conditioning?  As blocky as his
confirmation is, if it's
=
too warm (think 80 degrees plus for more than one hour
in 24), we won't
=
attempt it.  I'll train in warmer weather for shorter
distances, but
not =
that far that far from home.  Thanks for any tips -

Laurie in Clare
http://mail.yahoo.com