Re: [RC] Rehabilitation - Dyane Smith

I'd really like to hear information about this too.  My 13 year old is going in for surgery to remove a bone chip and to have the annular ligament cut (it is partially torn).  From prior experience trying to handwalk a horse that had been quarantined in his stall for two weeks (like trying to handwalk exploding dynamite), I am not looking forward to any of it.

Dyane
----- Original Message -----
From: Wendy
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 10:04 AM
Subject: [RC] Rehabilitation

Hi,

My horse had surgery the end of May, Annual Ligament Desectomy.  He was stall rested with small walks a month prior to the surgery and stall rested again for a month after surgery.  After the surgery and one month of stall rest I started him on a couple of daily walks (approximately 10 minutes each).  He is now outside for about 3-4 hours daily and seems to be doing very well.  I’ve been putting him in my round pen so that he doesn’t go tearing off.  My vet did not give me any specifics on a rehabilitation program for him only recommended that if possible to give him a year off.  I just started riding him two weeks ago, approximately 10 minutes each ride, just walking in the round pen.  He seems to be doing extremely well.  I’m not sure how long to keep this going before I add in a little trotting.  Anyone who has previous experience with tendon injuries or this particular surgery I would like to know your rehabilitation program.  He won’t be going back to his regular job until next year so I have a lot of time to do a proper rehab program.  I guess I’m just looking for some sort of guideline or timeframe from others who have experienced this.  Thanks so much…I do appreciate it.

Wendy