[RC] Older mare UTI infections...need help with meds pls - Carol Suggs

Have one of my 4H kids who's horse has a raging re accuring bladder infection.  Older mare with a tipped uerethra (spelling?), Doc has sewed her partially up to try and help prevent any contamination into the uerethra, but she still keeps getting infected.  Upon internal exam, Bladder wall feels thick and urine pulled a week ago was milky colored.  Mare goes from Milky colored urine to dark dark urine and sometimes pees blood but not always.

Doctor has prescribed antibiotics in pill form...horse won't take them..  They have tried mashing them up with carrots, apples, equine senior, karo syrup ect...horse noses around and won't eat the mixture, parent tasted it and no wonder, its really bitter.

Any suggestions are helpful.  Next step is injectable antibiotics which means I need to teach the parents how to give shots and they are not thrilled about that.

Just want to get the mare comfortable and fix this UTI problem.  She is in really good shape otherwise, for 24 years old, a little stiff in the knees but she's on Glusomine.  Feed is oat hay, equine senior and some alfalfa pellets, light riding...this is the mare that I inquired a week or so about on ride camp between legand and adequine injections for her knees.

Carol-Mariposa