[RC] Re Magnesium--second try - Lani M Olson

First, thank you for responding.

I had the unfortunate experience of putting a horse down for a rare hemorrhaging kidney. This, plus the fact that I stated that we've been in drought, caused me to ask the vet to run a blood panel on my two remaining mares. I also asked to check Vit E and selenium (because we are a known high selenium area). One test required shaving hair from the horse's flank. The tests came in low on magnesium, high side of normal on selenium. Vet recommended Horse Plus III to compensate for magnesium because it is balanced but has no selenium. Re-tested after 3 months, horses still low side of normal but thought it would be okay, till the dirt- and wood-eating started. Magnesium blocks are available at any feed store here, mainly used for cattle. But the dirt- and wood-eating stopped when I provided the block. When confined and given brome and native grass hay (grown on our own land) I have watched them go from the hay to the mag block to water, hay to mag block to water. I guess this tells me they need it, I just wanted to know if I should be monitoring how much they get by giving them magnesium oxide or continue to let them have free access to the block.

From: "k s swigart" <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Magnesium--second try

Lani Olson said:

> Last year my horses tested deficient in magnesium.

How was this test done?

It is my understanding that blood tests for magnesium are unreliable for
telling what is the magnesium state of a horse.  Did you use some other
form of test?  And what made you do this test in the first place (why
would you test for magnesium, were there some symptoms that provoked
it)?

Also, where do you get a "magnesium block" from?

kat