[RC] girth galls - Alice Yovich

In the last couple weeks I've been experiencing a problem with galling on my
horse with both my saddles. I have a Big Horn Saddle that I've used for a
year and no matter the distance, it's never galled before. It has a mohair
girth on it, but I"ve also used a neoprene girth with no problem.
Fortunately, the galling is at the front part of the girth area, so I can
move the saddle back and centerfire the girth and that will at least keep it
from re-galling. I also have a new Duett that I'm playing with. It seems to
fit her back well...no dry spots, no friction and she's moving well, but
with 2 different girths I've rubbed the skin off her side behind the elbow.
Obviously the saddle is slipping forward and I'm wondering if it's time to
move into a crupper. If so, what are the best kind and how to break the
horse to the crupper, so you don't have a bucking fit when it catches on
their tail the first time? Also, how do adjust it?

One friend has suggested that something different is going on with the horse
since both a mohair and a neoprene girth have caused a problem, but I'm not
sure what to look for. The galls from the Duett are more in the elbow,
whereas the galls from the big horn are a little further back. Both girths
appear to be clean, but I'm going to wash them to make sure.

In the past, on long rides, I've had a problem with girth edema, which has
led to the whole area shedding skin post ride. I'm wondering what to do  to
prevent this in the future. I always feel so bad when I realize I've injured
my horse in any way.

www.equithreads.com
Alice, Peter and Maggie
Region 4, Texas