From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ridecamp Guest
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 10:50 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] OT -- Question On Giving Dog Oral Medication -- THANKS!!

Please Reply to: Laurie Underwood laurieunderwood@xxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks to everyone who responded with help! One of the best things about
the endurance community is its willingness to share information and
experience.

Here is what we ended up trying: part of Maggie's treatment for this
condition is low fat food. The vet prescribed both canned and dry food from
Hill's Science Diet called W/D. It didn't take long for my picky dog to
reject it, and we were very concerned with her eating as we didn't want to
give the pseudomonas any more opportunites than it had already taken.

Went to PetSmart today to try to find something called Pill Pockets, which
Lee recommended to me. My next stop was going to be the grocery store for
liverwurst (recommended by Juli and by Maryanne) -- which is pretty yucky in
my estimation, but whatever, it was for the dog. The dog "talked" me into
taking her to PetSmart -- I am very well trained, apparently. Unfortunately
our local PetSmart doesn't carry Pill Pockets and then I realized I couldn't
leave Maggie in the car while I schlepped to the grocery store for
liverwurst. So I bought some "aromatic" canned food by Science Diet with a
5% fat content. It worked like a charm -- for now. I'm still going for the
liverwurst and will order the Pill Pockets online.

I am also going to take Susan G's advice and use a syringe, since my little
rat won't take one of the pills which is now crushed and sitting in the
freezer in fat free frozen yogurt. Those pills are just too danged
expensive to waste!

Thanks again.

Laurie Underwood