[RC] OT -- Question On Giving Dog Oral Medication -- THANKS!! - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Laurie Underwood laurieunderwood@xxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks to everyone who responded with help!  One of the best things about the
endurance community is its willingness to share information and experience.

Here is what we ended up trying:  part of Maggie's treatment for this condition
is low fat food.  The vet prescribed both canned and dry food from Hill's
Science Diet called W/D.  It didn't take long for my picky dog to reject it,
and we were very concerned with her eating as we didn't want to give the
pseudomonas any more opportunites than it had already taken.

Went to PetSmart today to try to find something called Pill Pockets, which Lee
recommended to me.  My next stop was going to be the grocery store for
liverwurst (recommended by Juli and by Maryanne) -- which is pretty yucky in my
estimation, but whatever, it was for the dog.  The dog "talked" me into taking
her to PetSmart -- I am very well trained, apparently.  Unfortunately our local
PetSmart doesn't carry Pill Pockets and then I realized I couldn't leave Maggie
in the car while I schlepped to the grocery store for liverwurst.  So I bought
some "aromatic" canned food by Science Diet with a 5% fat content.  It worked
like a charm -- for now.  I'm still going for the liverwurst and will order the
Pill Pockets online.

I am also going to take Susan G's advice and use a syringe, since my little rat
won't take one of the pills which is now crushed and sitting in the freezer in
fat free frozen yogurt.  Those pills are just too danged expensive to waste!

Thanks again.

Laurie Underwood