RE: [SPAM] [RC] broken ribs/punctured lung - heidi

I just found out a friend had a riding accident on Tuesday and has four
broken ribs and a punctured lung. She gets out of the hospital today, and
before I sit down to write her a letter I was wondering if anyone has had
this combination of injuries and can send me some words of wisdom I can pass
along to her.  I know about broken ankles and concussions but not ribs and
lungs!

My husband had a fall with a horse where the horse pinned him against a
tree as it rolled down a hill.  He shattered most of the length of his
ribcage (still looks like the print of a tree trunk on his back) and
lacerated a lung.  This was before I met him, so I don't know how long
his convalesence was, but it also was not the first time he had broken
ribs.  His response was to quit riding jumpers and start riding
endurance.  He held the Danish mileage record before he came here
(modest compared to some of the mileages our riders have done, but an
accomplishment nonetheless) and rode in two FEI World Championships,
and he is marching along toward 2000 miles here.  So while I can't fill
you in on a time frame, let your friend know that there certainly can be
an active life after broken ribs and punctured lungs!

Heidi