[RC] [RC] Heat Rash...? - DreamWeaver

I ride in a Toklat wool pad from my english saddle, and a couple times after
doing 50 mile rides I've noticed my gelding gets a heat rash the ride is
through. I believe it's a heat rash because they're a couple bumps on each
side of his backbone that appear about where I sit. They disappear in a day or
two.
Is this a concern? Would it be a good idea to, say, get a Dixie Midnight no
sweat vent pad? Does anyone have ideas for any other pads that might help keep
my horse's back cooler?

Hi Katie -- I call them heat bumps. I don't pull my horses tack off until he has cooled out, usually a half an hour but sometimes longer. When you finish, loosen the girth up a hole or two, lift the saddle up and place it back down. Then a few minutes later, do that again. once the horses back is as cool to the touch and as dry as the rest of him is, I take the saddle off. I found this to be really helpful on hot rides when I have been in the saddle for a long time. If I have to pull tack in order to vet, I still follow this procedure and then just take most of my hour to do that. This isn't as much of an issue in cooler weather, but I have found that it definitely does eliminate the heat bumps. Oh, and be sure while you are loosening the girth up and waiting that you don't turn your back or your horse will invariably roll on your tack, like mine does. Which usually results in a squashed scoop! :)

Karen