[RC] Bruce - broken tibia info - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Laura T tichenor06@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bruce,

I had a compound tibia.  Kicked on a "friendly" trail ride by somebody's horse
that attacked mine.  My tibia was cracked totally in half.  I got a titanium
rod, and two screws.  I have had the 2 screws removed, and the rod is still
there.

That bone takes a *minimum* of 4 months to heal.  Minimum.  Everybody heals at
a different rate.  Nobody heals faster than in 4 months.  That is per my ortho.
There are MANY MANY MANY people who have no bone growth, or it takes much much
longer to heal.

Ride a stationary bike to keep your knee, and other muscles in shape.  That is
per my orthos and PT.  Strangely it doesn't hurt the tibia.  With me the bike
is a love hate relationship.  If I don't ride, I ache.  It is boring to ride
also.

Don't smoke, and take calcium 2 times a day.  Smoking slows healing, and
calcium helps bone growth.

I still have problems to this day.  I was hurt in August of '02.  And yes, it
has hampered my riding lifestyle.  And, no I am no  wimp.

Check out this website for other broken leggers.  Kinda like a ridecamp.

my broken leg . com.    Remove the spaces.

Go to the discussion part.  You can read others diaries too.  Ask questions, or
just read, etc.  this site is for broken leg people in general.  Anybody can
read or post though.  There is one guy right now who was an exercise jockey,
and he is posting now.  Yes he was kicked also by a horse.  He has his bones
currently secured on the outside.  Yes, metal rods etc afixed to the outside of
his leg.  He is having alot of trouble sleeping, and not going crazy while
laying in bed doing nothing.  I did too.

I had no cast either.  Mine was fixed on the inside.  My right knee is forever
screwed up.  To get the rod in they had to move my knee cap to the outside of
my leg to get the rod in.  Major surgery.  And then another surgery to have the
screws removed, from my ankle and up near the top of the tibia.

Happy healing.

And no you shouldn't ride until the ortho say yes.  I didn't start back riding
for 4-5 months.  And at that, it was not regularly.  Too much pain.  The tibia
at 4-5 months isn't totally healed, it is just sealed all the way around the
outside, and is starting to heal on the inside.  Only an xray will say yes.  I
have seen all of mine, and asked alot of questions.  So I am familiar with the
bone.  If you do too much, you will have pain, and pain in the future.  Been
there done that.

Laura T.
SE region