Re: [RC] Readiness for LD versus 50 Miles- Need Advice - Truman Prevatt

Three factors have to go into this. The physical condition, the mental condition and the difficulty of the trail. By physical condition I not only mean how long he trots without stopping, it also includes factors like how well he carries himself. With doing dressage work he should be fine there. If he has a nice rounded carriage he'll do a lot better than if he's head high and inverted going down the trail.

IMO the worst thing that could happen is if he gets tired at 25 miles and has to be pushed for five more miles and the decides "it's not for me" and becomes sour about the whole experience. This could be from physical reasons or from the fact that his attention span is not ready for a 6 hour outing. Clearly the difficulty and diversity of the trail play into both factors.

Personally I like to give a horse about a year of just hacking around on the trails before I do a ride. This is the time you do your LSD and build up distance. This builds the horse physically and builds his attention span. But I'm pretty conservative.

If you go, be ready to pull if the horse shows any problems - either physical or mental. He has a lifetime of endurance ahead of him - there's no hurry. There is no stigma in pulling - especially when it is in the best interest of the horse.

Truman

Ridecamp Guest wrote:

Please Reply to: Jennifer Johnston jennifer.johnston@xxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello All-

I have put this question for to a local enduance vet and have not yet received a response, so...was wondering if I could ask the group for some help with a 'readiness' question. I have asked and read a great deal about readiness for endurance (50 Milers), but have NO experience with Limited Distance and the relative stress it puts on a younger horse.

My riding partner would very much like to join me for her first ride this Saturday. We would be doing 30 MILES. She has a 5-year-old Arab gelding who was started on the trail only this year. He was ridden all winter in dressage (4-5 x week). He began 'conditioning' (2-3 hours with hills, lots of trotting) only mid-June. He is ideal weight and appears well-bred for endurance (good hoofs, cannons, not at all stocky). He's somewhat nervous, but not excessively- seems to calm quickly and trusts his rider. He's drinking, eating, peeing well on trail.

So...with this history, what is the vote on readiness for a SLOW (no trotting downhill, lots of walking) LD ride this weekend?

Any/all input would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to respond directly. Thanks very much.

Jennifer

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics