Re: [RC] Training to cross Water - mjwest02

Starting a new horse (yearling) is much different than trying to re-educate an older horse (esp if you have had a short time)   To keep SAFE - just remember the "nature of the animal" and think "what if" - Being the leader is the best scenario - but when they start thinking with the instinct brain and NOT the logic brain, you could be in trouble.  I think TRUST is much easier to gain when working with a new/young horse that has not been "messed up" in the past.

Even in the video's with Parelli/Lyons/Clinton it seems they have the ideal location to train over water- but I have found that on the trail - you cannot choose.    Patience and SAFETY on the human part are very important.

I dismounted (my instinct told me it would be safer to go separately than on her back)
after approaching a 4 foot wide- 8" deep mud/muck/water obstacle.  Steep on both sides- crossing the first time was successful but scary.  Coming back I decided to attach the lead rope and cross on foot.  I stayed to the side of the path, allowing her to JUMP as I knew she would (GAWD forbid we get our feet wet - and I am up to my ankles in red clay muck!)  She jumped and to eliminate a rope burn I dropped the lead line as soon as it came to its length.    She trotted up 20' - skiddish (that rope was chasing her!) but since she has been clicker trained - I clucked - she turned and looked at me and I remounted.

I have WORKED on the ground - lunge at liberty - do the Parelli 7 games successfully -however, this is just basic education for horses/humans - the real TEST is using it on the trail.   Good luck and BE SAFEl!

Mary