Re: [RC] Discovery - DVeritas

In a message dated 8/9/2005 10:33:27 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, Tivers@xxxxxxx writes:
I became a coach. That's what I do for a living
It's a wonderful thing you do, Tom, coaching trainers, horses and riders to pursue the sport of endurance safely, and for those who care, optimally, as in to Finish First.

Regarding my observation that there are some who attempt to "insert" themselves into the sport without actually riding endurance horses speaks to what happens to some riders (and horses) out on the trail...the imperatives,  psychological and physical, can change over time (pardon the endurance-pun).  The environment, for many, is fluid in nature.  Very few hard goals, other than completing the ride that day.  To me, unless someone actually rides endurance horses on the trail, understanding, nay ACCEPTING, that can be difficult for folks whose strengths are cerebral in nature, not spiritual.  "But, then, I'm no mental giant.  So, please, don't "test" me.  It's all I can do to get through the days without stubbing my brain."

For some, having managed the distance, they then yearn to mange the effort, i.e., speed, etc.  For them, I can see that having a knowledgeable coach, with a background in honest research based in controlled studies with varied riders, horses and environments would be invaluable in the safe attainment of endurance goals, for horse and rider.

For a rider who wants to win, (as in Finish First), a training regimen based on, what some would call "fluff" that is esoteric in nature, (i.e., doing the things which engender completing ride after ride with maximum enjoyment of the environs (read, "To Finish Is To Win")), could be deemed "inappropriate" and "non-effectual" in nature.

I guess that would be where you'd come in...to help a horse and rider Finish First.

And, that is an aspect of this sport for many people.  It's just that "many" people seem unwilling to pay the price, literally, to Finish First.  It could be that to do so might change the context of what it is they do.  The amateurish pursuit of sport.  It could be so due to the constraints of money, time, ethics (as determined by the individual) or any of a myriad of mitigating and contributing factors.

But for those who wish to Finish First....if my recommendations were ever sought as to how to make that happen, Tom Ivers, you'd be the first guy I'd tell them to contact.

True "Discovery" happens from the inside out, not from the outside in.

My views, I'm no spokesman for anyone, just myself,
I love the Yamaha Clavinova...it's my preference.

Frank