RE: [RC] Another Lost/Stolen? Horse - Chris Paus

I'm sure we all could write chapters for the book, "dumb things I've done with horses."

chris

Kristi Schaaf <iluvdez@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Amber -
You'll never be judged by me. Several years ago, after
a four hour ride and what we thought were fairly tired
horses, hubby and I let them graze. I let mine loose
and he had his on a 20 foot lead. He let go of his
horse for 5 SECONDS to go grab a soda, and his horse
took off. My horse looked at his buddy leaving, looked
back at me (I yelled my feeding call in the hopes of
getting him to come back) then made his decision and
followed. We tracked them for 12 miles through forest
and meadow, across and around fences (including barbed
wire), hoping at each corner or hill that we'd find
them peacefully grazing. They were caught by a farmer
right before they reached the highway. He said they
looked like they were just looking for someone to stop
them. Hubby's horse had a cut on his leg and rope
burns that did heal fine; my horse had a severe tie up
from the exertion of keeping up with a horse born with
the intent to run until he dropped. We consider
ourselves lucky that both were found alive, and that
no people were injured. But I full well know the fear
and guilt and panic that comes when a horse disappears
over the hill and you have no idea what the outcome is
going to be. My heart goes out to anyone who has to
experience it and then get hit with the double whammy
of never finding the horse or knowing what happened.
Kristi iluvdez at yahoo dot com

Life's a journey, so enjoy the ride (and try not to fall off)

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs