Re: [RC] RC:Temperature Variance... - Joe Long

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:14:47 +0800, "Nik Isahak Abdullah"
<drnikisahak@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Joe, your great Kahlil Khai,was he on some form joint supplements or
something and at what age you start giving them?
Nik

Not long-term.  There was one time (probably around ten - twelve) when my vet
thought he might be exhibiting early signs of navicular problems, and
prescribed isoxuprine -- I withdrew from competition while that was being given
(orally, over a period of a couple of months, AIR).  At a later time (15 or so)
John Warren recommened giving him the injections of (I think) Aquedan (sp?).
I'm not sure of the name, it was expensive and came in little individual glass
ampules (one dose each).  Again I avoided competition during the course of the
shots, which was only a few weeks.  Other than that I never gave specific joint
supplements, although I did usually add an over-the-counter general vitamin
supplement to his feed.

In his third season of competition at age seven, he suffered a "bowed tendon" on
the first ride of the year, after sinking to his belly in a muddy creek
crossing.  I gave him a full six months off, then returned him to competition
slowly at the end of the season, and it never bothered him again.

He has been suffering some from arthritis the last few years, that started
showing up in his late twenties, but it's rather mild considering his age.
We'll give him some bute when it flares up.  He's still sound in the pasture
most of the time, and trots and canters around on his own -- if "the boys" are
out aways when I call them to feed, he's often the first one back!  When he was
boarded at Bobbi's ranch (Rocky Mountain Training Center) they would leave him
out to wander around, and he'd trot along after her motorized feed cart eating
the beet pulp.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx