Re: [RC] Since we are on the subject of water - Truman Prevatt

Betty Edgar wrote:

Truman wrote:

Betty,

Not saying this is the mare's problem but some horses are "taught" not to drink on the trail. I have a friend who got an ex-show horse like you and had the same problem. Whe she investigated it turns out that many people that show an do a little trail riding "don't like their horses drinking that icky water" so the don't let them, push them on when the try and teach them not to drink.

It took her about a year to get the horse to drink. Standing in water, take a sip - reward with voice and patting, etc. Eventually - but it took awhile - this horse drink as well as any other.

Truman

Now I'm having second thoughts about that theory because I'm starting a 10 yr. old mare who had no trail experience in the past, only show. She has taken exceedingly well to trail work and obviously loves it but during the 8 months I've been riding her she rarely wants to drink on the trail, no matter what the water source. We're never in a rush, and she's happy and relaxed but doesn't appear thirsty. Just sniffs or pushes her nose around in the water. Thus far our rides have been 2-3 hours with an occasional 4-5 hour. Since she's so soft we have many long slow miles to cover before ever doing endurance, so maybe I should relax about the not drinking and just keep offering. Neither has she ever urinated on the trail, on the trailer, or until she gets back to her paddock. I always whistle my special "pee now please" whistle when I observe her so maybe in time that training will sink in and help with urinating. How about another special whistle or little tune to encourage drinking? Anyone ever tried that?

She does eat. . . anything available any time.  She'll clean up her manger
while traveling down the road which I love to see.  Have had horses too
nervous in the trailer to eat until it stopped moving.

Betty

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics