[RC] crossing water - Tracey Smith

My mare will cross big streams, even rushing ones, but the ones she has
"issues" with seem to be the little tiny trickles...barely big enough to be
called a creek!   Yet she will trot along the lakeshore or cross the big
streams without batting an eyelash.

She'd been doing pretty good lately about crossing any water I asked of her,
but yesteday we were riding and the horse in front of us is relatively
inexperienced on the trails and when we came to one of those tiny little
streams (only about 18 inches wide and not more than 4-5 inches deep) this
gelding refused repeatedly.  The rider finally got him across but then Amira
decided there must be "something wrong" with that stream and she did not
want to cross it either.  After repeated attempts she finally did it...but
boy was I mad!  And then...not a mile down the trail we cross another
stream...but this one was tricky with a steep descent into and then out
of....but was much wider and more running water...she handled it like it was
nothing!

Mares...go figure.  I really think it was a "peer pressure" thing and had
this young horse in front of us not had an issue with it neither would she
as it was not a difficult or scary looking stream.

Tracey

Re: [RC] training to cross water - Zephyr Arabians

I have a gelding who will cross streams, rivers, just about any water. BUT,
he's a big ol' jerk about mud. This horse is no greenie, but he will do just
about anything to avoid mud. I used to joke that he'd step off a cliff to
avoid mud. Then he DID. I don't joke too much about it anymore... ~Nicole