[RC] Unicorn Hunt Ride Story - part 3 (the end!) - rdcarrie

Bear headed out of camp calmly, and picked up a trot right away.  I expected him to be getting a little tired, but he felt good, still had spring in his trot, and was perky and alert.  We continued to alternate trotting and walking, as I didn't want him to over do it.  We had 4 hours to cover 14.6 miles, so no need to hurry.  About 5 minutes after leaving camp, I had to pull up abruptly, as the turkey sandwich decided to make a reappearance.  So began the pattern that would continue for the entire loop...stopping every 10 minutes or so, sometimes more.  We continued to trot and walk (and stop) along lovely single track trail that I would love to ride again under better circumstances.  This was my favorite loop of the three I rode.  It was so pretty...huge hardwoods, lovely deep ravines, etc.  If ride management was trying to add nice scenery to the ride, they succeeded!  And again, almost the entir e loop was single track trail!

I hit a low point about 45 minutes from camp.  The first "mile marker" on the map was 3.3 miles from camp.  After 45 minutes of riding (with probably 8 or 10 stops to get sick) I *still* had not reached that point.  After one of my stops, I urged Bear onward, and he stopped and turned to bite at his right shoulder.  I thought my sponge string was bothering him, so reached down to brush it aside.  He jumped like he'd been poked.  I touched him again...same thing.  I got off to see what was wrong.  He had a little muscle spasm behind his right elbow.  I touched it, and he jumped.  I walked around to his left side, and touched there, no reaction, and no spasm occurring.  I walked back around to the right, and the spasm was gone, and there was no reaction when I touched him there.  Strange...

I led him a little ways, and he was fine, and he started eating some grass.  Then I got sick again.  Then I had myself a pity party.  I'd been out 45 minutes, hadn't even made it 3.3 miles, was sicker than a dog, my horse had had a muscle spasm, and boy, was I ever feeling sorry for myself.  I was almost in tears.  Knowing that I had that cell phone, and all I had to do was call and someone would come get me and Bear, was sooo tempting.  Right then, Bear jerked on the reins and started trying to go down the trail.  I stopped him, and he jerked again, as if to say, "get your butt back in the saddle and quit feeling sorry for yourself...we've got miles to cover!"  I did as I was told...we went a few hundred yards and saw that 3.3 mile marker.  I felt like I'd won the lottery...no more thoughts of quitting.  Thanks, Bear.

We continued on.  A few miles later, we were walking, when Bear suddenly stopped...another muscle spasm.  It passed in about 30 seconds.  I was worried, and puzzled.  What was going on?  Two riders caught up to me, and I told them what was happening.  They asked if I had elytes with me.  I said yes, and continued looking at them blankly.  They suggested giving him some.  Oh yeah...good idea.  Was I gone or what?  <G>  I dismounted and gave him a dose.  They continued on, and I walked him to give the 'lytes a chance to absorb.  When we finally resumed our trot/walk pattern, he did fine the rest of the ride, with no more spasms.  Might have just been an elyte imbalance?

We hit a section of trail that was more rolling up and down, and the trail was really twisting and turning...neat stuff!  Still single track.  There was less water on this loop than on the other two loops, but it was there when you needed it.  Bear didn't pass up an opportunity - drinking out of tiny road depressions, etc.  Good boy.  We got to a tiny pond that was about 3 miles from the end.  Bear did his best to drink it dry.  <G>  We continued onward, and he still had the spring in his step, ears up, and seemed to be having fun.  A couple miles from the end, we were walking, and I started to get really dizzy.  That's when I realized I needed to get back to camp soon, before I hit the ground.  I gave Bear his head, held onto the pommel with one hand, and we flew.  I knew there would be a sharp right turn where this trail merged with our second loop maybe 1/4 mile from camp, so I was trying to watch for that.  I need not have worried.  Bear remembered loop 2, and when he got to the merger point, he made the sharp right and never slowed down.  We continued on to the deep ravine right before the pasture where camp is, at which point I saw my husband walking toward us...we were 20 minutes later than my estimated arrival time, and he'd decided to start walking down the trail to meet us.  I dismounted and he led Bear up the slope and I walked along.  Whew...we'd made it...just needed to vet through.  Ross pulsed Bear through almost immediately (while I made a not-so-discrete trip behind a tree), and he trotted out sound.  Mike Maul helped me get back to our trailer while Ross finished vetting Bear through.  Another 50 under out belts...and I felt like Bear and I both earned these miles!

Speaking of earning miles...we came home late Sat. night after making sure Bear was ok and eating well, but I heard from someone yesterday that all 4 of the people who started the 100 finished!  Now THAT's endurance!  Congrats!  Unfortunately, the two 75s were both pulled.  :(

Anyone who is looking for a nice, well-managed ride, I can recommend this one.  The trails were a LOT of fun.  I love single track (have I mentioned that yet?  LOL), and I'd guess 90% of these trails were single track.  They were well marked, well trimmed, and just plain fun!  Don't let my heat exhaustion put you off...that's just me.  I never have been able to deal with heat *and* humidity.  I didn't see anyone else hangin' off the side of their horse.  <G>  About 98% of the trails were in the shade.  So check this one out next year.  Kudos to the Fants and their staff of volunteers!  :)

Dawn in East Texas
and Bear (when's our next ride?!?  I'm ready!)