From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Chris Paus
Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2005 11:03 AM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Pet peeve!

I'm sitting home today when I should have two horses, myself and my grandson in the truck and trailer headed to a CTR.

Seems we brought home some horse bug from county fair last week. Zabbie's nose is snotty and he's coughing a lot. No fever, no swollen glands, so it's not likely strangles, but some kind of virus.

I thought about just leaving him home and taking another horse, but we all know that sometimes horses can spread germs even when they aren't showing symptoms (so can people)...

I think in 8years of distance riding, I've had a horse get sick from something caught likely at a ride only once. I think distance riders are pretty good at monitoring our horses and not taking them to a ride when they might be sick.

Just a reminder to everyone out there.. it's better to miss a ride than to take a possibly sick horse and spread things around to lots of horses. Like keeping your kids home from school when they are sick, or not going to work when you are sick, leave your horses home when they are sick!

chris

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus

BayRab Acres http://pages.prodigy.net/paus

Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com