[RC] DIMR and its effect on performance - Sisu West Ranch

One factor that has not been mentioned in the thread on horses getting into trouble, is the problem of DIMR (distance induced mental retardation)

The most extreme case I have personally seen happened to a friend of mine on a 100 mile ride. As I was leading her and her horse from the vet area to the out timer at 1:00 AM, she asked me 3 times to go back and get her out card. Each time I explained that I had it right here in my hand, and all she had to do was follow the glow sticks.

In this case, thanks to a change in management her husband and I had worked out, her horse looked better at 90 miles than it had at 25 miles. I firmly believe that the only reason she finished the ride was that the horse followed the glow sticks and the trail.

My point is that sucessfully completing an endurance ride and protecting the horse is hard and sometimes has little to do with how much knowlege of arcane subject matter the rider has before the ride starts.

Even though AERC doctrine, rightly, is that the rider has primary responsibility for the welfare of the horse, in this case the only people capable of doing so were the vets and the crew. I don't think this is an isolated incident. I am never as sharp at the end of a 50 as I was at the start.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875