Re: [RC] Dates and carrots - Maryanne Gabbani

If you check the nutrients in dates, you will find that dates are impressively formulated natural electrolytes served in a serious sugar content. In the Middle East, where dates are endemic (and that isn't a misuse of the word...you drop a date pit and a palm will be growing there in a couple of months) they are the treat of choice for our horses. I did a lot of research on dates in the course of a magazine article on them and they are an amazing food. Most of the important minerals that would be depleted in a hot climate are there, the seeds can be ground to a high protein flour or animal feed, and the sugar content of dried dates is enough to make any Weight Watcher cringe. The dried dates store for a year or so easily and are light enough to be highly portable.

The old stories of the desert Bedouin with the family and its horse surviving on camel milk and dry dates aren't that far off. Our Arabians, who seem to be genetically engineered goats, will also basically eat any part of a date palm for the fiber (trunk and leaves) and would be thrilled to be living on soaked dates. Date palm isn't just an emergency food either. My well-fed horses snack as often as possible on the trees in the neighbourhood and right about now are doing a lot of hoovering under them as the harvest is just around the corner and early ripening dates are falling off the trees.

Definitely a good choice.

Maryanne