Re: [RC] to finish is to win? or not??? - Chris Paus

If TI's statement were true, then we'd see fewer crashes and horse deaths at FEI rides where to win is to win and the goal is to ride fast and get there first, than we do at AERC rides where to finish is to win and the majority of the riders get completions.

The only time I've seen a lot of horses standing with IV bags on them was at an AERC ride which was also an FEI 100 qualifying ride for the Pan Am games. It was a hideously hot day and I'm sure there were a few back to middle of the packers whose horses were pulled, but the majority of the horses were pulled from the 100 mile ride and were pulled before 10 a.m.

Since we see relatively few crashes and deaths for the sheer numbers of riders and horses in AERC events, my guess would be that "to finish is to win" is the safer and saner way to ride, especially for the horse.,

But what do I know.

chris

Jonni <jonnij@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
TI posted: >>>This is one reason why the concept of "winning by finishing"
can be very
dangerous. Those that are going for a win, on a horse capable of a win, will
typically pull their horse if it bonks--no need to punish a valuable horse
that
is having a bad day for whatever reason. Those that think finishing is
winning
will go on, even if they have to get off and drag the horse behind them.<<<

So, lets see a show of hands for all who agree with this statement as a
general practice at the rides you attend.

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com