[RC] to finish is to win?or not??? - KimFue

Actually Jonni,
  In all due respect (and you know I have the greatest respect for you as an endurance rider), parts of TI's post are absolutely correct.   Notice I said parts.....how many of us have seen riders not pull their horse when it should have been DNF in the horse's best interest.  They do this to get that "completion" whether the goal is for the least amount of pulls on that animal's ride record, whether it is for mileage or points goals the rider has set.  Many times (not all) it is the middle and back of the pack riders not the front runners.  It seems on this list and perhaps in this sport in general, that as long as a rider is riding for the "completion" and not for "placing" a certain amount of leeway is given because "speed" is not a factor.  I would rather see us value the QUALITY of the ride as most desirable whether the horse is completing in 1st place or last place.  In my eyes it doesn't matter if the rider who wins has to beat his horse to that placing with a crop or if the last place rider has to drag his horse in for that all important completion.  They are both failures in my eyes and I have much more respect for the rider who pulls his horse when it is not in the best interest of the horse to continue even if the horse passes all vet check criteria.
      In fact, at Tevis this year, the vet who vetted us at Robinsons thought that the front runners were looking much better then the group of horses I came in with (I was around 65 place and came in to Robinsons around 10:45)

TI posted: >>>This is one reason why the concept of "winning by finishing"
can be very
dangerous. Those that are going for a win, on a horse capable of a win, will
typically pull their horse if it bonks--no need to punish a valuable horse
that
is having a bad day for whatever reason. Those that think finishing is
winning
will go on, even if they have to get off and drag the horse behind them.<<<

So, lets see a show of hands for all who agree with this statement as a
general practice at the rides you attend. <sigh>  He has SO much to learn
about the riders and the care they give their animals in this sport.......
ahhh, but of course, he has the "science" and "studies" behind him, and most
of us just have years of owning horses, and riding distance rides mile after
mile, and seeing first hand what goes on at rides. But, if it says so on
paper, it must be true...

Jonni