[RC] Learning - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti Tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Third is the use of pubmed. Never heard of it before and while it seems to only
show abstracts and I can't understand half of the abstract anyway, it is an
interesting exercise to do some searches on things like "equine endurance" and
see what pops up.

Pubmed is a great resource for those not affiliated with a university with free
access to all the journals. More than 10 million medically-oriented papers are
abstracted on Pubmed.

I get a database on disk each month from a company called the Institute for
Scientific Information--this database is the exercise science database.
Typically includes 6-8000 papers (in abstract form)from 350 to 450 journals
worldwide. I've been plowing through these for at least ten years.

My process goes like this: 1. Read the title to so if the subject is
interesting to you. 2. If so, read the opening sentence of the abstract--what
they're investigating and why. 3. Read the last sentence or two--what they
found and what they think it means. 4. If you need more info, read the body of
the abstract. 5. If that's still not enough info, order the actual paper (about
$3). 6. If that's not enough info, look up the referenced papers on Pubmed. 7.
After all that, email the author of the paper--I've had great discussions this
way--the horse is the perfect model for many exercise investigations because it
is an athlete that can easily be monitored and studied. More often than not,
you'll find these investigators are interested enough in your problem or
question to spend some time with you. And they will tone down the jargon if you
ask them to. Most discipline-specific jargon can be expressed in plain English.

Have no fear of the science, nor of the droolers who chide you for reading it.
The jargon eventually becomes reasonably familiar.

Confront complexity, seek simplicity, trust clarity.

ti