Re: [RC] fitness parameters and science - Truman Prevatt

When science and a preconceived outlook collide, then the conclusions reached are always in question. This can even be true in such "hard fields" as physics and some of chemistry where all variables of an experiment can be controlled.

In the "softer" sciences - the control of all variables is not possible and all studies are experiments. In statistical experiments there are technical issues that have to be addressed to insure the experiments are valid. There are issues concerning sample size, the randomness of the sample, the design of the experiment and the exact hypothesis to be tested.

Once the experiment has been run then one can determine only one thing - the hypothesis can be rejected to a certain degree of statistical confidence or it cannot. Many times the problems with science comes from trying to put into lay terms exactly what was done and what it means. This problems caused confusion in physics for years as people tried to "explain" quantum theory. This also seems to me to be the problem with most soft sciences when imprecise words are used to try to covey the precisions of the conclusions of well designed and well executed experiments.

Science is about a well defined process and percision, not about handwaving. However, many times the conclusions of a study with some handwaving and conclusion jumping becomes more like religion than science.

BTW many of the first launches at Vandenberg AFB in the late 50's to early 60's went into the Pacific Ocean instead of space because some of the design engineers drew false conclusions from experimental data.

Truman

Science is good, but one has to read it very carefully before extrapolating
or acting on the results of an experiment. If you gave me enough Moose
Drool, I could tell you a number of campfire stories of how I jumped to
conclusions and caused financial losses to my employer during my indenture
as an industrial scientist.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics