[RC] The Book--Chris - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti Tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If I remember correctly, a product called "carbo charge" or something like it
was all the rage for awhile, but its use has waned... I never used it, but I
know people who did and their horses did not do well with it. A friend gave me
a big bucket of it after she gave up on it, but it's still sitting on my tack
room shelf... I've never used it.

chris>

That's why the first component of a competitive stable has to be intelligence
in the humans involved. If you start carb supplementation during a ride, then
chicken out, or get bored, or get lazy during the ride, then your horse will,
of course, crash its glucose and lose performance capability.

Directions were always on the bucket, but some followed them and some didn't.
Today, you're competing against riders using GL (Glycogen Loader) in most
important races. Some are using AGL in the back half of a 100--very effectively.

Nothing important in the horse world is fool-proof. Still, because of the
errors made, because of the pioneering work of Bill Proctor, because of many
follow-on field experiences reported back (which tied right in with the numbers
Bill initially delivered), we have a very good handle on using this particular
small piece of technology.

Still scares the crap out of the carbophobes, though. That's why knowledge and
intelligence is still the overwhelming advantage a competitive enduance horse
can have on the team.

ti