Re: [RC] CTR rule - Chris Paus

Lots of variations on the CTR theme.

MOTDRA (in Kansas, Mo, neb and Okla) is more like UMECRA in scoring than NATRC. No judging other than the vet judging condition. We like to give placings down to 6th place, so as much as possible we draw weight divisions to accomplish that. Each rider is weighed with tack at every ride, then management pretty much makes dividing lines for lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight based on where the weights are. some people may find themselve in one division at one ride and in a different division at another ride based on the weights of everyone there.

Juniors don't have to weigh.. lucky dogs...

Ride management sets the pace, usually 5 to 6 mph depending on terrain and weather. Usually the LD riders (15 miles...) go at 5 mph, and open division (25 to 30 miles or more) go at 5 to 6 mph.

Each horse and rider team starts out with 100 points. As in endurance, each horse gets a preride vet check with point values assigned instead of letter values. If the vet notes some leg puffines on the pre-ride, he may deduct a half point or so. At the end of the ride if the puffiness is no worse or is better, no points are deducted, it evens out to a zero. Zeros are good!!

there's a halfway pulse check and an all over hands on vet check at the very end of the ride.

Horses are not allowed to wear protective boots, but may wear any kind of shoes or easyboots that don't go over the hairline. Any kind of tack is permitted. We've even had riders go bareback. You must make all forward progress mounted, unless the RM gives you permission to lead across a bridge or some other hazard. You can dismount to fix tack, go potty or let your horse graze or drink, but not lead your horse down the trail.

At the end of the ride, the ending scores are compared to the beginning scores. the horse in each division who loses the fewest points is the winner. the overall highest score in open division is grand champion of the ride. Juniors are scored in a separate division. LD riders get 1st through 6th place placings, but are not eligible for champion or reserve.

It's pretty simple really and a good way to get horses and beginner riders introduced to distance riding. Almost all of our riders do both CTR and endurance, both LD  AERC rides and "real" endurance. some of our riders have participated in AHA regional and national rides. We've sent riders to Tevis.

I've started my young mare on the 15 mile distance this summer. My grandson also recently did his first CTR, a 15 mile distance. It is enough to be a challenge to a beginner, but not so much it will scare them away. People VERY RARELY stay at 15 miles for long! It's not enough and they want more and move up to open division pretty quickly. Plus it's almost impossible to collect year end mileage or other awards by stying in LD.

My grandson will do one more 15 miler as will the young mare I'm riding, and then we'll move up to a 30 mile CTR... if all goes well, I'll have grandson and mare doing AERC rides before the season is over.

chris

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com