[RC] response to electrolight lecture from the un fluffed un shod T.I. - Judie Ricci

Hi all,
just thought I would let you all know that a group of us "electrolyte using endurance riders" are involved in an electrolyte research project  in N.VA.
It is a very controlled data gathering research project, where all the horses are monitored,  they are weighed before the ride , at the middle of the ride and at the end of the ride,   wearing jugular catheters, halter monitors, some have the heat sensors under the saddle pad,  heart rate monitors,and every 5 miles blood is drawn from each horse, the temps. taken, and you are given the electrolytes to use during the 30 mile ride,  one group has e lights with potassium, and the other without, last week we rode in 105 degree heat, the starting humidity was 90% and dropped to 50%h.  We all had to give the first dose at 4am. then on a schedule during the ride,   Tomorrow we go again, switching the e lights, do the same course same horses.  IT is supposed to be near 100 deg. again....  and I am NOT a fluff bunny, or rough shod cow, but I will BarBQ both!!
This research project will be the sum of a 4yr. study by a Brazilian vet and a bunch of vets and vet students from VSU.and Dr. Waldron,    all of us involved have volunteered our time and are riding this research ride to help SCIENCE , and our horses and your horses.  So since Pete is a rocket scientist he does understand the concepts ti was speaking of,   but doesn't see where fluff bunnies fit in to the equation.  And cows are un shod not rough shod to be exact except of course the Oxen. ;)    so on to the 4 H center for another broiling day all in the name of research for a better tomorrow.   Think of us out there in the bugs and heat and rocks on Wed. doing our part for the extreme sport of Endurance, for endurance riders, and for medicine.     Also we can not feed any beet pulp at the one hold. or grain, just grass and some hay,  when we return to the finish we have to feed an e light mix 3 times over 3 hours and have blood drawn aga in.  It is gruelling, but we do it because we love the sport ,most of the people, our horses,dogs and our children.

Judie Ricci
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.