Re: [RC] [RC] 'endurance'/LD/fun rides - Mary Ann Spencer

I agree here.  If one is to work one's behind off and it is not beneficial and/or fun, they won't stay.  Everyone needs to start somewhere.  No reason they could not have a T Shirt with Fun Ride on it.  I personally prefer a little plaque to a tshirt but that is IMHO.  I know that when I tried to do Competitive Trail the dang rules drove me nuts and it appeared to be a place for the 'fancy show types' to prove there horses could go overland.  IHMO.  I find horse shows to be a lot of work for a very short showing.  Those hot clothes are miserable... give me my tank tops and let's go down the trail!  mas
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 9:53 PM
Subject: [RC] [RC] 'endurance'/LD/fun rides

 At some point, "endurance riding" has to happen.

Of course it does!  But how do you get someone who has NEVER spoken face to face with a real live endurance rider (I had been riding and showing horses for 17 years before I did) to BELIEVE that they DO welcome and respect all riders, whether they are front runners or turtle contenders?  That it is NOT that difficult to follow marked trails?  That it is not an equine beauty pagent or a special clique?

Sure, volunteering for a ride is one way, but folks don't always want to load up and drive 200+ miles to work and run errands (one of the first mental images  an outsider may have after being told to volunteer at a ride)-they're considering endurance because they want to RIDE their horse...they just aren't sure about what's entailed in actually doing a ride.

Let me tell you a little story, if I may.  I had had my first horse for 2 years...and, typical 11/12 year old country girl living in the sticks, I rode that horse EVERYWHERE, EVERY day (MAN are ponies tough...).  Someone offered to trailer us to a local show on a Saturday about a month away if we were interested...I got out the rule book and read EVERYTHING in it about western pleasure, horsemanship, showmanship...read the library horse books, and they all talked about how fun it was...I cleaned up a borrowed saddle (I didn't actually own one at the time), made sure Prince knew all the stuff I'd been reading, and off we went.  I've never had a more miserable day.  My spotted pony and I fit in like Ru Paul in a convent.  And yes, they made sure I knew it, too...This show was the prep for the "Better-Offs" to practice before they went to the Quarter Horse shows.

A fun ride is directed at folks who aren't sure they want to lay out too much money to try an event with folks they don't know, so they can observe the "real" deal and MAYBE even get a few pointers about whether or not their horse CAN do it once they find someone who they trust that they have SEEN doing the sport...Of course it's not Endurance.  If memory serves, LDs aren't endurance, either-they're limited distance.  But how do you get someone to dive into a new sport, with new folks, when they DON'T have the option of a mentor (remember, I still have friends who DON'T have the internet)?  The AERC mentor program is a good idea, but personally, I just couldn't bring myself to call a stranger and ask for advice...I wanted to PICK who I took advice from by judging them in action, and how OTHERS regarded them...Just me, I guess.  No, every ride doesn't need a fun ride, and personally, I don't think a fun ride should earn you a T-shirt...maybe a key chain, etc. (but I'm stingy <grin!>).  But they ARE a low pressure way to get a look at ya'll....AND maybe have a fun trail ride, you know?

Lucky and Romeo
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=