[RC] Answer to Lisa - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti Tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't believe that only 1% of our riders are smart enough to be in this
sport. I know there are a lot, I mean way too many stupid people that own
horses. However, I believe that, that concentration of ignorance is outside of
this venue and that endurance has some of the most educated horse people.
Nutrition has become so specific to endurance that even the feed companies
have tried making feeds to give horses an "edge". I am not saying that
everyone should be feeding these concentrated feeds, but I do believe that
endurance riders have a pretty good handle on feeding programs. No one feeds
their horses the same. No one rides them the same, either. The information is
out there, and most of us are reading and researching it. What more can we do?>

For one thing, consider the possibility that these wonderful feed solutions
"designed for endurance" are incorrect, based on faulty extrapolations of
minimal scientific data. If that is so, do you have a "pretty good handle" on
endurance horse nutrition?

All humans believe they know everything they need to know to do what they're
doing. While that is a very comforting belief, it's wrong, obviously. There are
things you are certain are true, things you are certain are false, and a huge
miasma of things that are completely up for grabs. You cannot, in your own
mind, allow the "up for grabs" stuff contaminate the certain truths.

And I have seen, personally, plenty of dead horses littering the endurance
courses in the Middle East. Unreported, of course. Maybe the US is tops in the
world at not killing endurance horses--I don't know. It is certainly comforting
to hear that this is so. Thank you for this good news.

ti