[RC] Tom's comments - oddfarm

Wow Tom. You sure don't have a way with words. But that's alright, we are all adults.

I agree with your ideas about electrolytes. I have never thought shoving salt down a horses throat during a race was all that smart. That has a lot to do with my own running experiences and to me, it just doesn't make much sense. I have no scientific evidence for my conclusion, but like Judge Judy says, if it doesn't make sense it probably isn't right or true.

I don't believe that only 1% of our riders are smart enough to be in this sport. I know there are a lot, I mean way too many stupid people that own horses. However, I believe that, that concentration of ignorance is outside of this venue and that endurance has some of the most educated horse people. Nutrition has become so specific to endurance that even the feed companies have tried making feeds to give horses an "edge". I am not saying that everyone should be feeding these concentrated feeds, but I do believe that endurance riders have a pretty good handle on feeding programs. No one feeds their horses the same. No one rides them the same, either. The information is out there, and most of us are reading and researching it. What more can we do?

Yes, we all know it takes an awful lot of knowledge and courage to get a horse ready for competition. However, you are assuming that is what every rider's goal is. It's not. Some people just want to ride. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be as educated as possible to make the right decisions for their equine partners. Therefore, there are lots of contributions to ridecamp that benefit the majority of riders. Your comment about horses dying left and right just aren't true. The reason they are not dying at the rate you cited is because we HAVE learned quite a bit in the past 10 years or so since I started riding. Do we know the perfect formula? Do you?

You can't possibly blame Steph, for anyone else for that matter for "fluffiness". People will do whatever the hell they want to with their horses. I don't think any of us come to this forum for a "battle", Tom. You keep referring to science as the one true way to knowledge, to win a battle but what science dictates today, may not be true tomorrow. Right? Maybe in order to understand the "core science of athletics" it helps to have come from some kind of an athletic background either from high school or college sports, or a running/triathlon background, but not everybody has that. So to imply that readers of ridecamp can't grasp a basic understanding of physiology, cardiology, nutrition and training just isn't fair. You don't need a science degree and a lab to ride endurance, do you?

You are absolutely right when you say, if you don't know fact from fiction, find out for yourself. I believe some people do tend to follow, rather than think for themselves. Sometimes though, we have to make mistakes in order to learn or rely on experts, self proclaimed or not. Only then, will we have the knowledge to be able to tell the difference.

Endurance is a sport, but not all participants have the same goal. I assume you are criticizing our US teams when you say that we are the laughing stock of the endurance world. That's pretty harsh, considering that most of us do not agree with the way some other countries ride and drug their horses just to compete. What about you? Do you think we are the only ones that have horses die in competition? I know you don't. Although it would be very hard to prove, I'll bet we have lost the least amount of horses than most other countries. Not that that's a good thing, but I think we have advanced in equine health and nutrition more than most.

So maybe we are working on keeping horses safe and alive now, so that in the next few years we can do that AND win? Is that a possibility? Who cares what the other countries think? Do you care what other people think? I'll bet you don't, especially if you think you are doing the right thing. Would you agree?

Perhaps you could share with us and the US team pages from your log book showing examples of weight loss, time it took to rebound, how you knew if it was tissue damage or dehydration, blood work and temp charts. How do you tell what your horse's lean mass is? I have to admit, I never heard of that before. What is an efficiency score? I know how to body score and if it is a 3 or below, I will assume, the horse won't be very efficient. :)

But let's not forget that sometimes we tend to over analyze and end up under achieving. I'm sure you would never fall into that trap, but the rest of us......well, you know. It's all about priorities and individual situations.

Surely Tom, you don't want to leave us all in the ignorant category, especially since it seems to aggravate you. Don't be so testy, just tell us what you think we need to know and can't seem to figure out for ourselves. If we like it, we'll use it, our horses will benefit from it and you won't have to be so cranky with us. Won't that just make your day?

I don't mean to imply that you are old, Tom, I have never met you. But I feel like I need to send you some "Crotchety Old Man" CD's. You do have to have a sense of humor though, which I am sure you do to appreciate them.

Lisa Salas, The Odd Farm