[RC] electrolytes? - Steph Teeter

Tom - I welcome your scientific knowlege - really - (though you could be
just a little 'softer'). Not everybody has your intellect (this is a hard
concept for some scientists to grasp), but we all do care about our horses.
For people w/o education in science, some of the papers are a little hard to
decipher - regular folks depend upon the experts to translate science into
english.

Can you tell me what the current science is on electrolyte dosing during
competitions? I've heard, and experienced, the gamut on this - from hearing
that the French do not electrolyte at all, to recomminding an ounce of
concentrates every hour. I know some top performers who do not electrolyte.
Personally I am averse to to electrolyte dosing during competition, it's
caustic and irritating to the horse, and seems such a shock to the system. I
don't electrolyte when I'm not racing, but do when the pace is fast - though
not as much as many recommend. I do because there is logic to the need to
replenish electrolytes that are lost through sweat.

The science says one thing - but many experienced and successful competitors
say another.

I'd love to hear your comments on this-

Steph