[RC] Carolina Moonlight 60 (who left the heat on?) - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Deb Ambrose mkkgs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,
  It's been so cool the past 3 days it's hard to remember how
rugged our 2 weeks of high nineties to over 100 degrees was.  I
know it's been that hot many times here in North Carolina, but
this time seemed really tough.  Into this stretch fell our
annual chance for a summer ride in the cool of the night.
  I arrived in Patrick, SC as late Saturday as I dared, to
avoid standing around in the sun for too long.  Gulp!  The ride
had to be moved up to a 5pm start, to try to get all riders off
the state lands before legal sunset, 9:30 or so.  So off we
went in 92 degrees and 80% humidity.  Lippy and I set off with
Liz on her similar looking Appy, Strider.  It wasn't long
before both horses lost that first loop silliness, and let us
know when we should be walking up those hills in that heat.
There were several lakes along that 19 mile loop, but they were
warm as bathwater.  Ugh.  This was the first time I ever
thought I might be overreaching.  We walked and trotted on this
gravelly loop, and came back into camp around 8pm.  So much for
clearing the State lands before dark.  My husband had arrived,
and "volonteered" to meet us at 2 road crossings with cool
water.  We set back out for a repeat of the first loop, and
although it got cooler after sundown, it got MORE humid.  I was
really glad to see Mark as we made our way around, and the
horses were thrilled at the cool water.  Lippy stumbled early
in this loop and went all the way to his knees, and his nose
as the vet pointed out to me in the light of the check, but he
was never off.  After our pull at the end of Liberty Run, I was
fairly paranoid.  After an hour hold, we were refueled and ready
for a 10 mile loop.  Dr Otis had said that tonight there was no
"yellow", or go on but take it easy, there was only "green" or
"red", as he felt the margin for error was slim in this high
heat/humidity.
  The 10 mile loop took off on some single track, down a short
steep section, then onto some nice packed sandy roads,
including a section we did here last year.  Lippy perked up on
the way out, and after a drink at 4 or 5 miles, swung along in
a happy trot for a good while.  We walked some downhills on the
gravel section, then looped back past those nice water buckets.
  Back to camp were he peed for the second time, and then
there was some discussion as to the total ride time we would
have for 60 miles.  At the ride meeting 13.5 hours was
mentioned, and with my poor math skills, I didn't think much
about it, nor did I picture how slow we'd have to go in that
weather.  Now 14 hours was being tossed around, as well as
14.5   You would think I'd know these things.  In any case,
my husband advised "No lollygagging."  Easy for him to say!
But I was very happy to tack back up at 4:30 am, and have Lip
head out at a decent walk alone for a couple minutes until Sue
got her release and caught up with us. For all the struggling
to leave vet checks alone in the past couple years, he seems
more or less resigned to our little venture, although we both
find it easier to do 3 loops instead of 4.
  We made good time on this last loop, and were cheered on by
those coming back in as we headed out.  Those words of
encouragement mean a lot.  It wasn't an easy ride, but it was
great to see the sun go down, the moon come up, then head down
as the sun came up behind us.  Sue and I held hands as we
trotted across for the Turtle at 6:35.  My husband was snoozing
in the truck, and missed this moment of glory :-)
  The pulse criteria was 60 all night, and Lippy was an eating
machine.  He drank well aside from the warm pond water, and took
a little snooze during our second hold.
  Thanks to JD Fountain for putting on these rides.  The
markings were great, plenty of glowsticks, and here's hoping
there's not too much trouble for the use of State lands after
dark.  This marks the third time in my life I've stayed up all
night, each time for this ride.  Next, Big South Fork, I hope!

Deb and Lippy, 635 mi
Aberdeen, NC