[RC] Food Choices at Holds + Number of BP Mashes - Val Nicoson

We're definitely newbies in this sport and still
learning.  Learning is a constant :)  My horse has
gotten to where she is *not* eating her BP mash at
holds at all...just turns her nose up at it. Following
is a list of her choices that she currently gets.

Her current food choices are:
1.  Several apples+carrots cut up...we carry this in a
used ice cream tub to the P/R check which she eagerly
gobbles/slurps down.  At one of our two completed
25-mile rides, one vet had no problem with it (pulsed
down good), second vet had a problem with it but had
to give in as her pulse went up with not having it ;-)

2.  Orchard grass or Alfalfa hay...which she is
starting to munch on a little more at the vet checks
than she used to.
3.  BP mash (BP and a handful of pelleted feed...
recently this has been changed to Ultium).  Placing
carrots/apples in the mash doesn't get her to eat it
any better either.
4.  Grazing on plain green grass which she is electing
to do as well

She generally doesn't well until about the first vet
check.  Have found she will drink more water at VCs if
I use the larger, big tubs you can buy at WalMart with
the rope handles than the standard buckets.  She will
drink out of buckets set out by ride management along
the trail after the first VC.
So IMHO I feel that I really need her to eat her BP
mashes.  Perhaps I'm feeding too many mashes to her?

If we arrive at RC on Thursday PM (depending on
distance driven)...I like to feed a mash on arrival at
RC, another at dinner.  Then on Friday I try to feed
3-4 mashes (breakfast, lunch, dinner, bedtime).  On
Saturday morning and each VC she gets a mash set out
for her too.
If I arrive on Friday...one upon arrival, at dinner
time (if I arrive earlier in the day) and at bedtime.
Saturday she gets one in the AM and each VC too.
So...am I feeding *too much* in the way of BP mashes?
I feel like perhaps I am and she's letting me know by
not eating them.  If they set out too long from her
not eating them, I have a fresh mash made for her at
the next feeding so it's not like they set out too
long.

Any other choices for feeding *stuff* at holds that
would help in keeping/maintaining water in the hind
gut?  Reduce the number of mashes?
She doesn't normally get oats...what about soaked oats
at VCs?  (Even though not on her daily diet menu)
Other choices?

Thanks much,
Val + Sania (completed two 25-mile rides this season)

http://mail.yahoo.com