[RC] My horse Cira-update - Kathie Ford

Well, we know now for sure what did it to my mare Cira three hours after Tevis. I'm writing this for people to instruct their crews especially those maybe not experienced or in the know about horse physiology.

Cira had drunk about a 1/2 bucket of water. Well, that water she drank apparently had a large block of ice in it!  I had no idea they did that! They had put it in the tub so when we came in could have cold towels for us.  But she drank out of that bucket and the water was extremely ice cold.  So my poor mare had one heck of  a cramp.  My daughter knows horses pretty good, but apparently my husband knows nothing of cold water and thirsty hard working horses and the two don't mix.  Especially when they stop working.  Now they know and the communication needs to be better with my crew on certain no-no's. Must have hit her tummy like a brick.  Reminded me of the movie Black Beauy when the young boy gave the horse ice cold water...ugggg...

At least there is closure for this incident with no doubts and can PREVENT it from happening again.  My husband didn?t' even realize that Cira will drink out of ANY bucket that has water no matter what...towels, balloons, food, don't matter when she's thirsty..I'm just glad she's fine.  She's been running around the pasture chasing my dogs all week and eating like the little piggy she is!

Well, hope everybody had a good safe week!

cheers,

kathie