[RC] Arabian Nights preregistration!! - Steph Teeter

Registration forms for Arabian Nights (August 27) are at
http://www.endurance.net/arabiannights - please preregister if you think you
might come. I'll refund in full if you cancel within a week. This is a 'big
deal' ride so I really need to know how many riders and diners I have. It's
an extra $20 at the door if you don't preregister. Dinner, lunch at the
ranch vetcheck, and awards breakfast come with the ride entry. Extra dinners
and breakfasts (crew, etc) need to be purchased. Plus there's a Thursday
night 'Wine and Cheese Social' get-together sponsored by Specialized
Saddles. We'll have our usual eclectic collection of music and videos for
entertainment.

I'm offering both 100 and 50 mile distances this year and FEI divisions in
both distances too. Why ride the FEI 50? You get to spend an extra $20 and
get a special award (rocks are not being ruled out) and say 'I rode FEI'.
But - to ride either of the FEI divisions you need to be a member of USEF,
your horse must have an International or National passport, and your horse
must be current on the flu vaccines (initial series and 6 month booster).
Plus you must ride at weight - 165 lbs ... I think.

I'm making a few minor changes in the trail, always searching for the best
footing, and avoiding some sections that got washed out. There will be less
road this time, and riders will only have to do that nasty 1 mile road
section out of camp twice. You'll be finishing on the road behind camp
instead of on the nasty road section. And there's hardly any dust this
year - the floods washed it all away... The vet/trot area will be closer to
the rigs in camp, and you'll be able to crew anywhere you want - should be
easier for riders and crews this year.

Plus I'm adding 5 miles. I've measured this course twice this spring (seemed
awful fast last year) and with my ATV got 96.2 miles one time, and 94.1 the
other (different direction, and different combinations of repeat legs, and I
ATV'd a section of trail that I couldn't access last year). So... I'm adding
5 miles.

There's enough rock out there that I recommend padding - if you're going
slow it's not a big deal, you can slow down for the rocky sections, but if
you're trying to make time it would be a good idea to pad. Just make sure
you use good thick pads (this country is hard on pads) and good packing (I
prefer the equipak products).

This is not a hard 100, the biggest challenge could be the heat (could be
hot and dry, could be hot and humid if we get a thunderstorm - normal high
for this day is 85 degrees... but we all know that weather in the northwest
is never normal) - but you'll have 24 hours to finish, so if you just intend
to finish, plan on taking it easy during the afternoon - it cools down nice
here in the evenings and the trails are pretty easy to follow in the dark,
plus we'll have plenty of glowsticks.

This is a very competitive ride - but we really try to make sure everybody
has fun too. See ya there!

Steph