[RC] [RC] Tevis scratches/silvadene - Dreamweaver

Hi riders; Now after Tevis my chestnut/white horse has bad scratches, its gross! It started with some peeling in the elbow areas and a little around the fetlocks, heelbulbs.

Hi Beth -- if it is up as high as the elbow, you'll want to have your vet look at it and get a prescription. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but it is something you need to give the horse in her feed. At some point, treating it topically won't get rid of it and it sounds like you are unfortunately in that situation :+/

What is this scratches anyway, I couldn't find a definitive answer in the many archives. Is it a fungal infection? a parasite? an auto immune disorder? An alkali burn?

It can be a variety of things, and the reasons the horses get it depends on multiple factors. It can also be due to sun sensitivity, which can be exacerbated by higher altitudes and the eating of alfalfa, as well as stress, moisture, etc.

So now I understand that at rides I ought to slather her with Desitin on those areas?

That will help. So will not feeding alfalfa before the ride, or clover. It is also good to keep the pasterns dry and clean. Eqyss Medicated Spray is also a good preventative -- it's also good to use if you have scratches. They also have a shampoo that is excellent.

I never had any any any of these problemos with my other many grey arabians. Get sick of looking at greys, find myself a gorgeous chestnut, and now I must learn about skin problems. Maybe its just this horse, I've had chestnuts before with no problems.

It all depends on their skin color underneath. My chestnut horse has dark grey skin underneath, so has never had scratches be a problem. One of my grey horses has two white hooves and those lower legs have pink skin underneath, the other grey has dark grey skin underneath. A lot of chestnuts with white markings get scratches, so that's not all that uncommon. I think many horses can/do become resistant to getting scratches.

Good luck!

Karen
in NV