RE: [RC] Mentoring - Adam and Jannelle

Sarah

Newbie in Virginia wrote

...I think it would really instill confidence.  I just feel really
nervous about being inexperienced (in endurance) and taking out an equally
inexperienced horse --having that security of an experienced mentor and an
experienced mount would make the first ride or two a little less stressful
and more pleasant experience. ...

....  Maybe as a newcomer, I should
just stick to the shorter rides, as they're a good bit safer (i.e. the idea
of 25 is less scary than 50 to me).

I am by no means an old timer, I can remember my first ride, I did not know
how far 25 miles was, and did not care how long it took me.  We had
conditioned some at home, maybe 10 mile rides a couple of times a week. I
was excited and scared to do my first 25.  We went so slow that we came in
overtime on a eaisy ride, ( I finished the 50 this year in lest time!!)  My
favorite thing about the LD rides for thoose of us who are starting out and
trying to get our courage up is this.  If something happens while you are
out on the trail, someone will come by and help!!  People know that you are
out there and come looking for you if you are not back in camp by a
reasonable time!! For me, after having done enough miles, and being more
confident about my skills and my abilities to help my horses I most likly
would not start a horse on a 25, I can do 25 miles at home.  The value of
the LD for me was to help me get comforable with my skills as a
horseperson.

So to Sarah I say do as many 25's as you like, they are a great time and if
you have the chance to ride an experienced horse, have a great time!!!  If
you do not have a chance to ride an experienced horse, Take the horse you
have, once you feel he/she is ready and at the ride tell the ride manager
or anyone else that you would like to ride with someone who is going slow
and has some experience.  I do not think you will be dissapointed in the
help you get.

Good luck and have a great time,
Adam

Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk