[RC] hock hobbles again - agilbxr

Not too long ago I was complaining about our resident western pleasure rider using hock hobbles on her own horse.  She has since started "training" (i use this term loosly) one of our other boarders 2 year old QH gelding.  THe other boarder is relatively inexperienced, and our WP person was using her hock hobbles on him tonight.  She had his hocks tied to his bit, and lunging him at a trot and canter. The baby had to trot and canter with his head between his feet, on the ground.  Unfortunatly, the other boarder believes this "trainer" that the hock hobbles aren't cruel, but are a good training tool.  Can anyone point me to a site that would show why the hock hobbles are bad? I can't find one, after an hour of surfing the web.  Sigh...

Judging from the way the horse was moving, it can't be good for their spines and backs, nor for their legs, but I'd like something other than me going, "umm...you might want to re-think that...."

To top that off I was so busy watching this poor 2 year old being screwed up, that I forgot I shouldn't take my attention off Spot.  He told me by jerking the lunge line out of my hands and giving me one heck of a case of rope burn.  Ouch....  See, hock hobbles aren't good for me either!!!

Juli and the herd
Spot (never, never, never take your attention off me....)
Alpine (who doesn't need 100% of my attention 100% of the time, and who is going for an evening ride tomorrow with mom so she can ride the easy horse)